Mud or Stars by Peter Sage is not exactly a book, it is a fictional story that Peter Sage wrote when he was in jail. It is part of the New Prisoner Welcome Booklet that he designed for new inmates but I think the principles of this story is applicable to all areas of life.
These are the 6 principles of this story from New Prisoner Welcome Booklet (I have made moderations so that they are applicable in daily life):
- Everyone has grievances and unhappiness but nobody really cares about them so don’t go around talking about your unhappiness.
- I always get to choose what I focus on. Mud or Stars.
- Don’t cry over spilled milk, crying over it won’t make it any different. Accept that the milk is spilled and figure out how to deal with it.
- Life is like a mirror. If I am angry at the world, the world gets angry with me.
- Circumstances can restrict my liberty but not my freedom. No one can ever do anything to me emotionally without my permission.
- Set myself up to win. Learn the ropes, get busy, set a goal.